Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My Ski Data

Last year I inadvertently tracked my skiing for a week at ABasin using the Moves App. It wasn't super accurate and lacked elevation (a big deal when skiing). This past season I used an app called Ski Tracks that is designed for skiing. It is also smart enough to split runs and chairlift rides. It started snowing out west this weekend so I figured I should get this finished up.

Here are the results of my 21 ski days for the 2016-2017 season.



Details:
The app I used will export as KML or GPX, but I found the .SKIZ files it uses are actually .ZIP files. They contain an XML with day stats and CSV files with run segments, nodes, battery life, and any photos I tagged along the way.

I created a pentaho job that would expand the SKIZ files, and then process them into 3 files.

  1. Day Level Stats - one record per file/day that has max speed, total decent, number of runs, min and max altitude, etc. 
  2. Ski Paths - a combination of the runs and nodes data. Along the way I also add some calculations for delta altitude and distance so I don't have to do table calcs in Tableau. 
  3. Battery life - it tracks battery life during use and will stop tracking if the battery gets low, but I am never reached that point or have done anything with this data yes. 
Once the data is processed I take it away with Tableau! For my detailed speeds, I ended up using a moving average. I have found that with GPS data at small distances can be...less than accurate. Some line segments had me over 150mph. I am good, but not that good. A moving average helps smooth the speed line out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment