"Can I get a notification when an extract updates?" No.
"Can I subscribe a group?" No.
"Can I sign other people?" No.
|We do our best to let people know which schedule to choose.|
I use Pentaho Data Integration to manage other Tableau Server tasks and I was working on notifying owners of when extracts failed and realized that the opposite would be to notify them when it is successfully updated.
I boiled what was subscribe-able down to 3 things:
- Successful Workbook Extract Refresh
- Successful Datasource Extract Refresh
- Workbook Publish
The third is because there are some workbooks that are manually worked/QA'ed monthly and then published from a QA version to a Prod version. You might want to add a fourth if there are datasources you manually publish.
Watch the video for more details on how the Pentaho Job/Transform works, but the overview is:
- Run Custom_Subscriptions.kjb Job, which deletes old images and launches the transform
- Figure out what has happened and is actionable
- Query Tableau Database to find actionable events
- Join it to a table/file with a list of who is subscribed to what
- Load some details for the view URLs
- Generate the emails
- Find unique views
- run tabcmd to generate the images once for each subscribed dashboard
- Email each person/group the image/content they are subscribed to.
I have two tables/text files containing
- email addresses, subscribed object, site, etc
- Details about the subscribed object (url, path, site, filetype)
We use Active Directory groups to control access, so most dashboards already have a corresponding group that we can email. This prevents having to manually manage individual users.
I have only tested images, but switching the file type from .png to a .pdf or .csv should work.
There is also a #DATA15 session on how they do this at Tableau and I am really excited about seeing this. Maybe they will announce that it will be a new feature in Tableau 10.